When we first started living the RV Life, we used campground laundry facilities or local laundromats for our laundry needs. It reminded me of my college days. Waiting for someone to switch their loads, for a machine to open up, or wondering when the next person would FINALLY come to get their things out of the dryer so I could finish my laundry!
Traveling in an RV is a fantastic way to explore new destinations, experience adventure, and make memories that will last a lifetime. However, packing and organizing an RV can be challenging, especially if you’re new to the game. Here’s a guide to help you pack and organize your RV to hit the road fast
Declutter everything – it might be easiest to start with a completely empty out of the rig and deep cleaning.
Have duplicates to keep in the Rig
Towels Venture4th gave us a great discount for our viewers! Save 25% by using the code: 25OFF259
-Toiletries (Toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush Shampoo, bar soap, razors, etc)
-Cleaning supplies (dish soap, hand soap)
-Cutlery, Cutting boards, pots/pans (Kitchen set up)
-Set of Tools
And there you go, just add clothes and food and you’re ready to roll! It takes us just a few hours to pack up clothes and food using these quick hacks.
Quick Packing Tips:
- Use IKEA bags and Laundry baskets to take things from the house to the Rig.
- Use bins for both the house and the RV for food. It makes for easy back and forth PLUS keeps things organized. Use bins under the kid’s beds to make packing clothes, books, etc easy to transport back and forth from house to RV. Using bins for socks/undies, etc to easily bring back and forth between the rig and the house.
- Plan Your Trip: Start by making a list of all the items you need to bring on your trip, including food, clothing, bedding, and personal items. Make sure you take into account the number of people traveling and the length of your trip.
- Make a Checklist: Create a checklist of all the items you need to pack, including your RV’s essential equipment, such as fire extinguishers, tire jack, and leveling blocks. This will help you stay organized and ensure you don’t forget anything important.
- Pack Smart: Take advantage of the limited space you have in your RV by packing smart. Use compact and multi-functional items, such as collapsible storage containers and stackable pots and pans.
- Food Preparation: Plan your meals in advance and pack only what you need. Consider purchasing food items that have a long shelf life, such as canned goods, dried fruits, and nuts. Don’t forget to bring a cooler to keep your perishable items fresh.
- Keep it Tidy: Use space-saving organizers and storage solutions to keep your RV neat and tidy. Consider purchasing a hanging organizer for your clothes, a shoe rack, and a cabinet organizer.
- Label Everything: Label your storage containers and compartments to keep everything in its place. This will make it easier to find what you need and keep your RV organized.
- Use Velcro Straps: Velcro straps are a fantastic way to secure items and keep them from shifting during travel. Use them to secure loose items, such as pots and pans, to prevent them from falling or spilling.
- Don’t Overpack: It’s tempting to pack everything you might need, but overpacking can quickly lead to clutter and disorganization. Stick to your checklist, and avoid bringing unnecessary items that will just take up valuable space.
Side note on downsizing: We can take everything that is in our closet in our “sticks/bricks” house and fit it in our RV closet. We try to keep with the “one in one out” method when buying new clothes, shoes, etc. By taking EVERYTHING we have (clothing wise, etc) we know we are not going to forget anything.