We’ve been to some pretty cool Campgrounds during our 2 + years of RV life but there are just some Campgrounds in America that stand out above the rest. And that we want to visit more than once. Here are our top picks!
Flagler by the Sea Campground – Flagler Beach, Florida
We loved the Flagler by the sea campground for several reasons but our favorite reasons are:
- It’s right on the beach
- You can listen to the waves crash against the shore from INSIDE your camper!
- Right off the A1A highway – easy access to make day trips to other areas or beaches. Daytona is less than 1 hour away.
- Our kids played at the beach ALL day long
- The only “cons” were – it’s a smaller campground and the spaces are a tight fit. The laundry and bathhouse are not always kept the cleanest.
Myrtle Beach State Park – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
We’ve stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park twice now – both in 2018 and 2019. We love this RV campground so much we would TOTALLY stay here again. Some of the reasons why we love this state park are:
- It’s a short walk to the beach
- There is a small store onsite to purchase anything that you might need (the kids loved getting an ice cream bar after a day of swimming at the beach!)
- Nice clean laundry facilities
- There are several different types of sites – Full hookups, no hookups (tent sites), water, and electric only. There is also a dump station on site.
- The whole State Park is in a wooded area and it feels very much “natural” and like being in a “camping” environment.
- Ranger programs for the kids – can you say road-schooling?
- CHEAP camping for the Myrtle Beach area vs. the other RV Resorts in the area.
Palmer Gulch KOA – Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota
We love Palmer Gulch KOA so much we’ve stayed here 3 times over the past 10 years. It’s about a 6-hour drive for us from our home base in Colorado so we’ve stayed here many times over the year. We’ve stayed in both the lodge, the cabins, and the RV Campground. We recommend this place to ANYONE as they have options for non-campers as well as campers.
Palmer Gulch KOA is a fantastic RV camping destination located in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. This campground offers a wide range of amenities for RVers, making it the perfect place to stay while exploring the area.
One of the standout features of Palmer Gulch KOA is the variety of RV sites available. The campground offers full hookup sites, as well as water and electric-only sites, ensuring that there is something to suit every type of RVer. Additionally, the RV sites are spacious and well-maintained, providing plenty of room for larger rigs.
Another great feature of Palmer Gulch KOA is the range of activities available on-site. The campground has a large swimming pool, a mini-golf course, and a playground for children, ensuring that there is always something to do. Additionally, the campground is located near many popular attractions, such as Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial, making it easy to explore the area.
The campground staff is also very friendly and helpful. They will assist you with anything you need and can provide you with recommendations for the best things to see and do in the area.
Overall, Palmer Gulch KOA is a great RV camping destination for anyone looking to explore the Black Hills of South Dakota. With its range of RV sites, on-site activities, and proximity to popular attractions, it is the perfect place to stay for an unforgettable RV adventure.
It also just happens to be the 2nd largest KOA Campground in America. Some of the reasons that we LOVE this resort:
- There are nightly activities for families during the summer months.
- A great pool & water slide was built right into the hillside.
- Mini Golf – Horseback Riding, Splash pad, Climbing Wall, Playground, and the list goes on!
- Easy access to Mt. Rushmore – only a 10-minute drive.
- Beautifully located in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
- Several restaurants are on-site if you don’t want to cook.
- General Store to purchase s’mores supplies if you need extra chocolate or marshmallows for your roasting sticks!
- FOR ALL YOUR FOODIE NEEDS: The Grateful Glamper bamboo sticks were created to be an integral part of all your roasting occasions. Whether you fire up the barbecue grill, the campfire during your camping/hiking trip or the barrel/ fire pit- our wooden skewers will roast marshmallows, shish kebab sausages, hot dog wieners & any other delicacy or appetizer you can fit on them, safely & perfectly, every-single-time!
- FAMILY DEAL: With a single purchase you’ll be able to roast away for days! Created to be the perfect value-for-money deal, our wooden barbecue sticks come in the ideal family size, and will be more than enough to last you 3-4 camping/ hiking trips, and even more BBQ gatherings.
- ACCIDENT-PROOF DESIGN: Coming in at 36” long, our roasting bamboo sticks offer safer handling for avoiding accidents and greater-easier control when barbecuing large quantities that need simultaneous turning. In combination with the whopping 5mm thickness, you get a wooden skewer that’s dependable, handles well & does not break or splinter.
Asheville East KOA Campground – Swannanoa, North Carolina
Ashville East KOA campground feels like a blast from the past – when it’s 1952 and you can let the kids roam free and everyone knows everyone. We spoke with several of the families during our stay and we learned this is really the “locals” campground where people who live within a 2-4 hour drive come here every year (and every weekend in some cases!) And it’s no wonder why. From the beautiful mountain areas to the creek flowing through the middle of the campground, this place is peaceful and family-friendly. Some of the things we love about this campground are:
- Very Family Friendly – kids everywhere!
- Creek running through it – our kids tubed down the creek
- Beautiful Black Mountain area of North Carolina
- Bike rental available
- Swimming Pool
- Playground area with GAGA ball
- Close access to Biltmore, America’s Largest home, built by George Vanderbilt.
El Mar RV Resort – Campground in Key West, FL
This was a highlight of our summer and we stayed 8 nights at El Mar RV Resort (if you stay 7 nights, you get the 8th night for free in the “off” season!) We loved the tropical feel and weather of Key West and we have to say this is one of the best campgrounds in America. One note: there are no amenities other than hookups. So you will need to plan on showering, doing laundry, etc. in your own rig.
Some of the reasons we love this campground are:
- It’s right on the water – gorgeous views!
- It’s a smaller Campground – 11 sites (6 on the water and 5 not on the water)
- The manager is very friendly and helpful. She even allowed our mail to be sent to us there.
- Inexpensive for Key West as far as campgrounds are concerned.
- You can launch a kayak etc. right from the campground as they have a smaller dock right at the campground.
- Close to Old Town Key West – grocery stores, etc.
- Did we mention the amazing view?
We hope you enjoyed reading this article! For travel videos, RV tips and more check out our YouTube Channel.
Leave a Reply